This month, I’d like to raise a glass to recent progress in the US towards marriage equality rights. In April, Iowa and Vermont joined Connecticut and Massachusetts in passing legislature allowing marriage rights to same-sex couples. Just a few days ago, Maine followed suit. There’s also news of progress in New Hampshire and New York.
While this doesn’t serve to wash away the bitterness of California’s Proposition 8, it shows that more and more people across the country are becoming more accepting of marriage equality.
Of course, there’s still lots of work to be done, with a vocal portion of the population speaking out “in defense of marriage” in its less inclusive definitions. In response, I offer up “Defenders of Marriage” by Roy Zimmerman:
Mr. Zimmerman scores bonus points for this line:
Let’s get the government out of our lives and into our pants
And now, the April Just Posts:
- Amanda at Love Letters in Hell with I chose my choice!
- angielynne76 at Angielynne76’s Blog with Equality for All
- antiracist parent with Oprah and the secret lives of moms
- Ashley at The Dhaka Diaries with Faces of Poverty
- Emily at Wheels on the Bus with Bea and Eve
- erika at Be gay about it. with Marriage equality again — VERMONT!
and Marriage equality — IN IOWA!!
- flutter with RAINN dance
- flyingtomato at flying tomato farms with the un-holiest marriage
and Quit calling me a “Hobby Farmer,” and I’ll quit calling you a shill for Big Ag
- GirlGriot at If you want kin… with Will This Make My Mom an Immigrant and Ceremonies in Dark Old Men
- Hispanic Fanatic with Prepare for Impact
- Holly at Cold Spaghetti with Where I Ponder Charity
- Julie at Using My Words with Breastfeeding is like five whole minutes of your life, total…so to speak
- Julie Pippert at Momocrats with Senator Roland Burris supports National Equal Pay Day, co-sponsors Paycheck Fairness Act
- Mad at Under the Mad Hat with Dear John
- Painted Maypole with Ten
- Phoebe at Rectory Entrance with How’s that Gentrification Going?
- Planet Nomad with Do They Know It’s Christmastime
- Quadelle with A mini home makeover
- Rae at Journey Mama with Thirteen Follows a Long Time After Twelve
- Thailand Chani at Finding My Way Home with Susan Boyle and Necessary Rant
- zoom at Knitnut with A few highlights from Rethinking Poverty
THANK YOU to April Just Post Readers:
Thanks for reading! Please also pay a visit to Holly at Cold Spaghetti, and see what she has set on the table.
If you have a post above, or would just like to support the Just Posts, we invite you to display a button on your blog with a link back here, or to the Just Posts at Cold Spaghetti. If you are unfamiliar with the Just Posts, please visit the information page.