- knock your socks off: an idiom meaning “impress” or “surprise in a good way,” as in The excitement of this sock list will knock your socks off.
- put a sock in it: “be quiet.” (Differs somewhat from “put it in a sock.”
- bobby-soxer: a 1940s term for a teenage girl, especially fans of Sinatra
- The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947): a movie with Cary Grant and a teenaged Shirley Temple.
- sock hop: a dance popular in the US in the 1950s in which participants took off their shoes and danced in their socks
- Christmas stockings: socks hung by the fireplace as part of a Christmas tradition. They are then filled with eggs by the Easter Bunny. (Do I have that right?)
- Fox in Socks: A Dr. Seuss book (featuring a fox wearing socks) filled with particularly tricky tonguetwisters:
Who sews whose socks?
Sue sews Sue’s socks.
Who sees who sew whose new socks, sir?
You see Sue sew Sue’s new socks, sir.
- Pippi Longstocking: A character from a series of children’s books by Astrid Lindgenwho wore socks that were not only long (long stockings) but noteworthy for being mismatched
- Diddle Diddle Dumpling: a Mother Goose rhyme featuring (at least in some versions) stockings:
Diddle diddle dumpling
My son John
Went to bed with his stockings on
One shoe off and one shoe on.
- bluestocking: a term for an “educated, intellectual woman” used commonly in the 18th and 19th centuries. Also Blue Stockings Society.
- Red Sox: a baseball team based in Boston, MA
- White Sox: a baseball team based in Chicago, IL
- Chartreuse Sox: a baseball team based in my imagination
- sock monkeys: stuffed toys traditionally made from socks. (Perhaps less traditional is the sock monkey dress.)
- sock puppets: hand puppets made out of socks.
- sock puppet: a dummy internet account
- The Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theater: a sock puppet duo of YouTube fame
- The Bureau of Missing Socks: “the first organization solely devoted to solving the question of what happens to missing single socks. It explores all aspects of the phenomena including the occult, conspiracy theories, and extraterrestrial.”
- 1,176,607 hits
- activism art Blogroll books Christmas collections crankiness cuteness family food friends fun geekiness holidays humor idioms just posts kick-ass women language life linguistics lists me metablogging Monday Missions movies Music NaBloPoMo pants parenting Phoebe photography photos photo sets politics randomness recollections sayings school silliness social justice things ThThTh travel TV Uncategorized utter nonsense vegetables words work