This is the debut of the Just Posts in their two new venues, here and over with my co-hostess, Holly at Cold Spaghetti.
We are very pleased to share with you a bounty of posts by people who have in common the desire to see the world become a better place.
Writing about causes that we care about is more than “just words.” The act of writing helps us put our thoughts together, and helps us connect to others. In many cases, the writing then moves us on to further action.
I know that my own participation with the Just Posts has moved me to take actions in my personal life. I buy more local and sustainably grown produce, and more fair trade choclate. I have cancelled catalogs and junk mail. I have donated money and signed petitions. Bought more used clothing items, given gifts that benefit worthy organizations, and stepped back a bit from the consumerist frenzy that constantly beckons. Most of these are small actions, when taken individually. But they are moves in the right direction.
In the months that come, I hope to explore issues of social justice in my own writing, with emphasis on finding ways that I can do more, and make more of a difference. One of my big personal goals is to find a way to do volunteer work that I can fit in with my (seemingly already overloaded) personal and professional life, and I hope to share my progress in that goal.
Now I’d like to direct your attention to the amazing list of posts below.
I would like to encourage you to pay a visit to as many of the folks below as you can. A simple click or two on your part can help motivate a blogger to write and do more. Please consider leaving a comment at a post or two, even if it is only to say “thank you.”
I would like to say “thank you” as well. First, to Mad and Jen for their work and inspiration with the Just Posts these past 2 years, as well as to Su and Hel who helped them along the way. Thank you to Holly for sharing this new endeavor with me. Thank you to all of you who have written the posts below, or nominated them. And I would especially like to thank you, for stopping by here, and clicking on some links below. Click away!
The January Just Posts Roundup:
- Adrianne at The Bodhi Tree with Quote of the Day
- Angela at Letters from Usedom with Can We Change the World Just By Connecting?
- Ashley at Letters from Dhaka with The P-word
- BipolarLawyerCook with International Relations
- Brigitte Knudson at A Liberal Education with On Social Justice and Education
- De at An Indigo Virgo with Noughts and Crosses
- Emily at Wheels on the Bus with The Holy Land and There Must be More Money
- Erika at Be Gay About It with My Uterus Sent Me Flowers
- fire byrd with this madness needs to stop, before there is a war
- girlgriot at If You Want Kin… with Miss and Mrs. … who? and Samaritans in a Subaru
- Her Bad Mother with The Invisible Boy
- Holly at Cold Spaghetti with Chipped, Just Posts for a Just World and No Cheese with This Whine
- jen at One Plus Two with Behind the scenes of the Just Posts
- KC at Mothers in Medicine with Getting into the spirit and Getting into the spirit, part 2
- KC at DC Metro Moms Blog with A light in the dark
- Kevin at The Bartoy Blog with Stimulate The Economy — Forgive Student Loans!
- Leslie at Adventures in Randomness with I Have a Dream
- Little Pea with On Joining New Clubs
- Lucaites at No Caption Needed with We The People
- Mad at Under the Mad Hat with The Pragmatist and the Heart of Gold
- Mary at The Eleventh with To Her, This is Normal
- Melissa at MOMocrats with Blog for choice: Priorities for the new administration
- Paul Newnham at Give a Damn About Poverty? with Discipline and Training and Small Sacrifice
- Rachel at Kitchen Fire with The First Time I Voted
- Rebecca at Flying Tomato Farms with Farmer’s Market Nutrition Program and Change I believe In
- Sahar at Sahar’s Blog with Clean off your hearts, people of the world! and Roll up them sleeves, we’re getting down to business
- Shahrazaad with War Ends, Schools Begin
- SoulSnax at Rice Daddies with They’re homogeneous: Black Culture, Asian Culture, etc…
- Thailand Chani at Finding My Way Home with Laying Down Arms
- Thordora at Love Has No Need For Memory with Pensioneering
Some of the January Just Post readers:
Please stop by to see what Holly has to say, too.